November Reading Wrap-Up


The Thousandth Floor by Katharine McGee was our November book club choice.  Everyone describes the novel as a mix between the Great Gatsby and Gossip Girl, and I couldn't agree more!  Friendship, betrayal, secrets, rich vs. poor, this book has it all!  However, my only complaint is the dramatic stories take over the book and I would love to learn more about the tower and it's technology.  For the first of a trilogy, it left me wanting more. 


Song of the Deep is an adorable story that corresponds with the video game.  It is a quick read about a young girl who builds a submarine to explore the deep ocean and rescue her father.  This story is great for middle-grade children who love adventure and underwater creatures. 


I was unimpressed by this book after reading all of the hype it received from Emma Watson and other feminists.  I am not sure why I was disappointed or what I was actually expecting from this book.  It was interesting to learn more about Maya Angelou however, I ended the book without actually learning about her feminist work or her personal views.  


When people say Elizabeth Warren is an advocate for the middle class, they are not exaggerating.  Most of Warren's career centers on overcoming bankruptcy and housing foreclosers for low and middle income Americans and her determination is inspiring. 


Like every collection of short-stories, I did not enjoy all of the stories.  However, some of them, especially Angels in the Snow, Welcome to Christmas, CA, and Star of Bethlehem made the whole book worth reading.  I highly recommend My True Love Gave to Me to get you into the holiday spirit. 


Best book of the month, hands down.  This historical fiction manipulates history to bring a hilarious and entertaining take on the story of Lady Jane Grey.  Wonderful characters and a magical plot left me wanting to read a thousand more versions of Cynthia, Brodi, and Jodi's history.


A realistic and chilling tale of sexual abuse and abortion, this book gives a perspective not shown by many authors.  A great read for all ages and genders, you are just going to have to read this book yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment